Here are some easy steps that can help increase the performance of your furnace and water heater this winter and save you some money in the long run!
- Clean or replace your furnace filter often during the heating season. Furnaces use less energy if they “breathe” more easily. Follow instructions in the furnace manual or call ALK Contracting.
- Get your furnace tuned up. A professional tune up will ensure your furnace is operating at peak efficiency and help prevent potential major repairs in the future
- If your furnace vents out the side of your home, make sure the vents are clear of obstructions, including drifted snow.
- Lower your thermostat to 58º if you’re away from home for five hours or more. You use much less energy to heat the house up when you return than to keep it heated while you’re away.
- Set your water heater temperature at 120º.
- Keep your hot water hot by making sure pipes in unheated areas are insulated.
- Put an insulating blanket around your water heater to hold heat in.
If your furnace is 15 years or older you may want to consider replacing it with a more efficient model. The latest modulating Tempstar gas furnace operates at lower heat levels most of the time and automatically modulates to the higher heat production if temperatures drop. The variable-speed blower motor can also help increase comfort by maximizing moisture removal during cooling (air conditioner) operation. And the high efficiency blower motor can be run continuously to improve indoor air quality.
Call ALK Contracting Inc today at (906) 338-2841 for a free estimate on a new furnace.